After a long and tiring day, we all deserve to have the best sleep we possible can, sleeping comfortably and soundly. To that end many of will go out of our way to buy a great bed, a fantastic mattress featuring the latest technological advancements and luxury sheets and pillows that should all but guarantee a perfect nights sleep. However, there is one item that can tip the scale from OK nights sleep to blooming amazing nights sleep. This article aims to answer the question of what is the best mattress topper available to buy in the UK.
The best mattress toppers available to buy in the UK in 2019 are:
|Sealy Select Mattress Topper||Hollowfibre||8.4/10||Check Price|
|SilentNight Airmax Mattress Topper||Hollowfibre||8.8/10||Check Price|
|SilentNight Impress Memory Foam Mattress Topper||Memory Foam||9.2/10||Check Price|
|TEMPUR Deluxe Topper||TEMPUT||9.2/10||Check Price|
|Yanix Latex Plus Mattress Topper||Latex||9.3/10||Check Price|
|Eve Memory Foam Topper||Memory Foam||9.8/10||Check Price|
Having the perfect mattress to match our sleeping patterns can go a long way to providing a fantastic nights sleep. With the extensive range of mattresses available these days it shouldn’t be too difficult find something that will promote a better and healthier nights sleep, but even with the ideal mattress, they will often still benefit from a mattress topper to take your bed into the realms of luxury. Even a minor change to your bed can result in dramatically improved sleep.
What To Look For In The Best Mattress Topper
Mattress toppers come in a range of types, sizes and materials and are capable of much more than increasing comfort levels. A topper will sit on top of the existing mattress which changes the characteristics of the bed as well as increasing the lifespan of the mattress it’s covering. If you find your existing mattress is to hard, use a softer topper, if your mattress is too soft, use a harder topper. You really can create the perfect bed with the addition of a topper.
A topper will help transform a good mattress to a great mattress, turning an average nights sleep to the best sleep of your life. In the next section, we’ll look at the various features of a mattress topper which will help you decide what option will be best for you.
The Types Of Mattress Toppers Available to Buy
There are a lot of mattress toppers available in the market and each one of them have their own advantages and disadvantages depending on the material of which they are made up of. Some of the most common and used materials that are used for the manufacturing of toppers are: –
Latex can be naturally occurring or synthetically produced. It’s commonly used in mattress toppers and is quite a popular option amongst users.
- The mattress topper made of latex is antimicrobial and anti-allergic.
- The toppers will be very durable.
- The toppers will be generally firm in nature and will have a decent amount of bounciness in them.
- They are great for people who suffer from joint pains or arthritis.
- Quite expensive.
- It may get hot during the summer season due to the insulative properties.
Memory foam is a chemically enhanced material which has a wide range of applications. These are used so extensively because they come in a wide range of thickness and densities according to the user’s requirements, providing a decent amount of support and cushioning.
- Mattress toppers made up of memory foam can be used on older tired mattresses, providing a new lease of life. These toppers will add a considerable amount of support and are relatively inexpensive.
- These toppers are very soft and comfortable in nature and can help reduce the pressure on body parts, making them a must-have for people suffering from joint pains and arthritis.
- It greatly reduces the impact that a restless partner can have on your sleep, doing a good job of insulating you from movement and vibrations.
- It can get hot during the summer days.
- Can be difficult to reposition yourself if mobility is restricted.
These toppers are very similar to a duvet that is filled with feathers. They are extremely soft and are comfortable, making them a firm favourite for kids.
- Very soft.
- They are affordable and are cheaper than most other varieties.
- These toppers don’t retain any heat, which makes them suitable for use in any type of environment.
- Easy to reposition yourself even with limited mobility.
- Not ideal if you suffer from allergies.
- Can cause a surprising amount of noise when moving around.
- The feathers inside the topper may get compressed over the time, requiring you to periodically shake it so that it can again regain its original form.
Mattress toppers made from wool are quite difficult to find but can provide a remarkably comfortable nights sleep. The material is naturally occurring which is a bonus from a sustainability point of view.
- These mattress toppers are very soft in nature and are very comfortable.
- They stay cool during the summers and warm during the winters.
- They are very durable in nature and can last a lifetime if cared for carefully.
- They are naturally antimicrobial and don’t hinder your movement in the bed as well. You can toss and turn as much as you want in your bed without difficulty.
- Difficult to get a hold off with limited options available.
- They can be expensive.
What Are The Benefits of Using a Mattress Topper?
As mentioned earlier, there are a lot of benefits of the mattress topper that people are unaware of. A topper can easily be a game changer and provide you with the comfort that you have never experienced before.
Some of the benefits of a mattress topper are: –
The added layer of comfort: – using a mattress without a mattress topper may cause compression of the upper layers of a mattress over time. With the addition of sweat, moisture and repeated use, a mattress can quickly lose its comfort. A mattress topper will add an additional layer of comfort to a bed, either replacing the lost comfort or enhancing the existing comfort.
Helps in increasing the lifetime of a mattress: – the lifetime of a mattress depends on how well it is used. If someone sleeps directly on the mattress without using any topper, then they are allowing it to the body perspiration, the dead skin and bacteria and the compression and deformation. It has been observed that a body releases a significant amount of body fluids while sleeping, which find its way to the mattress, causing it to smell and get decolourized. A mattress topper is manufactured in such a way that they don’t allow these fluids to reach the mattress and instead, absorb them themselves. They are often far cheaper than a mattress and can be more easily washed or replaced.
Using a mattress topper will prevent any kind of deformation on the foam of the mattress and all the body weight will be exerted by the mattress topper. This allows your mattress to stay in shape for a long period of time.
What To Bear in Mind When Buying a Mattress Topper?
Buying a mattress can be an overwhelming and complicated business, thankfully that’s not so much the case with a mattress topper. There are only a few things that need to be kept in the back of your mind when you’re looking to buy a mattress topper.
It’s worth all our readers and buyers bearing in mind that it’s unlikely you’ll be able to find the perfect mattress topper, one which meets every single requirement, which is why we’ve put together this list of the best mattress toppers. We hope you’ll be able to find the best option to meet your specific needs. Please think about what you like about your existing bed, what we think is a great mattress might not suit everyone. Everyone is their own person and seeks different things from a bed, at the end of the day you’ll be the one sleeping on it, so give some weight to what you like.
So, some of the general things that should be in the mind of everyone while shopping for a mattress topper are: –
How much can you spend?
There is no shortage of mattress toppers in the market and they come in all prices. There are some mattress toppers that are cheaper than your bedsheet and on the other hand, there are some that are costlier than your mattress itself. So, you should have a clear idea about how much money you are willing to spend and what features you are looking to get at that price.
The thickness of the mattress topper
Mattress toppers of varying thickness are available in the market. The greater the thickness more will be the heat retention capacity of the mattress. If a person wants more depth in their topper and doesn’t get warm easily at night, they can go for a thicker mattress whereas a person who gets warm easily at night should opt for one which is less dense and isn’t as thick.
The material it’s made from
Toppers can be made from a range of naturally occurring and synthetic products, each offers distinct advantages or disadvantages as detailed above. One should check the material and see if they are allergic to it or not. The material of the topper will decide if it will make the overall bed softer or harder as well as impacting ease of manoeuvrability if that’s something you already struggle with then it’s worth bearing in mind when choosing a topper.
Some mattress toppers offer fantastic insulation from your partner’s movements, while others offer no protection whatsoever, there’s no perfect option for everyone. The material used will also impact the durability of a topper, generally speaking, naturally occurring materials are less durable compared to synthetic materials, however, that’s not true 100% of the time. For example, wool is very hard wearing and durable and can last a lifetime of use, but it’ll need to be cared for carefully and not all are machine washable.
One of the major reasons to have mattress topper is to adjust the firmness of the bed. If after buying your mattress you decide you’d rather have a firmer or softer mattress, it’s not always an easy task to simply swap the mattress out for another type. This is where a mattress topper comes into its own, allowing the mattress to be hardened or softer as you see fit. This is especially important for anyone that suffers from joint pains, arthritis or other medical conditions that impact manoeuvrability. If you need to adjust the firmness after a couple of years then there is no better way than with a mattress topper, it simply and inexpensively does the job.
Now that we’ve covered off our general guide to mattress toppers, their benefits, buying guide and general advice, let’s move onto the next section. What are the best mattress toppers available to buy in the UK?
Best Mattress Topper UK
Sealy is one of the oldest companies that is working in this field and they are well known to manufacture quality products and have set a benchmark for themselves as well as for others to follow. There are products are used all around the world and there is no decline or compromise in the quality of the product whatsoever. This mattress topper is another quality product from the company which promises to change the sleeping experience of the owner. This mattress can be readily added to a mattress without any difficulty.
The mattress cover is 100% microfiber, which allows it to respond to your body temperature while you are sleeping on it, being cool during the summer days and warm during the winter days. The inside of the mattress topper is filled with silky DuPont Serica fibres so that the comfort level of the mattress is further increased. The great thing about the topper is that it can be easily washed in a washing machine and cleaned. And in addition to all that, when you were thinking it can’t get better, the manufacturers give a 2-year guarantee on the product.
- The mattress topper is made up of microfiber, which is capable of controlling the temperature on its own according to the body temperature of the owner, keeping the topper warm on a cold day and cold on a warm day.
- It is white in colour and weighs just 998 grams.
- The topper measures 137×193 cm and is good enough to cover a double bed. The mattress topper is available in other sizes as well.
- The mattress topper is filled with silky DuPont Serica fibres which are specially manufactured so that they give the softness of silk without using it. The fibre used is 100% hypo-allergenic.
- The corner straps are provided on the mattress topper so that it can be easily attached to the mattress.
- This mattress topper can be easily washed in the machine and cleaned.
- It is made up of microfiber, which helps in keeping the temperature of the surface in check and in accordance with our body temperature and that of the weather.
- It can be easily washed in a washing machine.
- The mattress topper has synthetic fibres in it which are as soft as silk, helping in increasing the comfort level of the topper
- It comes in different sizes without any decline in the quality of the product.
- Very economical.
- Comes with a 2-year warranty from the manufacturers.
- No cons at this price.
Silentnight is a well-known brand in the field of beds and mattress related products and has been in the business for quite some time now. They are known for manufacturing products that greatly enhance the sleeping experience of a person at a very economical price. They manufacture mattress toppers as well, and this Airmax mattress topper is one of their quality products in the market.
This has been introduced in the market with the idea of enhancing the performance and features of the existing mattress. This mattress topper easily covers a double bed, measuring 190×135 cm and comes in various sizes as well in case anyone is wondering. The mattress topper is made up of polyester which has a soft touch to it. It has a dual layer construction which allows it to have cool air pockets inside it which help in increasing the comfort level of the mattress. In addition to all this, there is sidewall mesh panelling given as well, offering maximum breathability as well as air circulation. One can easily wash this mattress topper in the washing machine to clean it without facing any difficulty. The manufacturer also gives a warranty of 2 years on the product as well.
- This mattress topper is made up of polyester which is very soft in nature and helps in improving the sleeping experience of the owner.
- It measures 190×135 cm and weighs 1.5 kg. The mattress easily covers a double bed and comes in other sizes as well without compromising on quality at all. It is white in colour and compliments the surrounding pretty well.
- The mattress topper features a dual layer of construction because of which there are cool air pockets inside. These air packets help in further increasing the comfort level of the mattress and the topper both.
- The Air mesh sidewall panelling is provided in this mattress topper as well, which helps in obtaining the maximum breathability along with an effective air circulation.
- The topper has the right amount of stiffness and softness to make even the age-old mattress work fine for a few good months.
- This mattress topper can be easily washed in the washing machine.
- The manufacturer gives 2 years warranty on the topper.
- The product is made up of soft-touch polyester which helps in having a better sleeping experience.
- The dimension of the mattress topper is such that it can easily cover the double bed and it is also available in other sizes as well without any decline in the quality.
- It has a dual layer of construction which helps in having air pockets and side wall air mesh panelling is provided as well. All this helps in keeping the surface in accordance with the temperature of the body and provides efficient air circulation as well.
- Can be easily washed in a washing machine and comes with a 2-year warranty period.
- The topper is a bit heavier than the other products available in the market.
- No such cons at this price rate.
Another quality product from Silentnight, this mattress topper is a work of art. As the name denotes, it is a memory foam type mattress topper, which means it has a reactive memory foam which helps the topper in moulding itself according to the shape of the body of the user. This results in the mattress topper providing better support to the body of the user so that the joints of the body don’t go under any type of stress and the user can sleep peacefully and have a better experience.
It measures 135×190 cm which is big enough to cover a double bed easily. The same mattress topper is available in 3 more sizes without any decline in the quality of the product. The product is made up of polyurethane, which is hypoallergenic and has been designed in such a way that it fully transforms the features of your mattress. The mattress topper has a removable polyester cover which can be easily washed in a washing machine so that it looks new and fresh every time. In addition to all the features that this product comes with, the manufacturer also gives a two-year warranty on the product.
- This product has been designed in such a way that it completely boosts and rejuvenate your mattress.
- The mattress topper is made up of polyurethane because of which it has the right amount of firmness in it to support the weight of the body.
- It comes in different sizes so that the buyer can choose according to their own preference.
- The thickness of the product is approximately 5 cm and the memory foam helps in remembering the shape of the body so that enough support can be provided to improve the sleeping experience.
- The mattress topper is hypoallergenic and the and has a removable cover as well, which can be washed in a washing machine so that the topper looks clean and fresh even after repeated usage.
- The memory foam helps in giving enough support to the body by moulding itself according to the shape of the user so that enough support can be given.
- The cover of the product can be easily removed and washed to keep it clean.
- The product is made up of hypoallergenic material which makes it safe for usage.
- The weight of the product is a bit more as compared to the other products on the market.
TEMPUR is a relatively new player in the mattress industry but it has been founded because of the NASA’s scientific endeavours. Because of this, the company has a lot of scientific material and knowledge to make their products that are scientifically superior to the other products from other companies that are available in the market. And because of this reason only they have managed to make a name for themselves in the market.
This mattress topper is made up of the special TEMPUR fabric. Both the sides of the topper have the TEMPUR quilted layer so that there is unparalleled comfort available as well as keeping the mattress on which it will be laid down in a good condition. The cover of the topper is made up of TEMPUR fabric as well and is stitched on to it. The mattress topper is available in various other sizes as well. The manufacturers of this mattress topper also provide a 3-year guarantee on the product.
- The mattress topper is made up of scientifically researched material which has its own properties which help in making the sleeping experience better than ever before.
- The mattress topper is available in a large number of sizes and the buyer can choose according to their own preference. There will be no decline in the quality of the product, irrespective of the size you choose.
- The mattress topper has been designed in such a way that it supports the natural position of the body and moulds itself according to your shape so that adequate support can be given to the joints and the pressure points.
- Both the sides of the product feature a quilted layer of the TEMPUR material which ensures that there is the right amount of softness and firmness in the mattress.
- The manufacturer of the product gives a 3-year warranty on the product.
- The mattress topper is made up of scientifically researched and tested TEMPUR material.
- The product is available in multiple sizes so that the buyer can buy accordingly.
- The mattress topper features both the sides of it having a quilted layer of TEMPUR on it which ensures there is enough softness in the product that it improves the sleeping experience of the user.
- There is cover stitched to the mattress topper as well so that it doesn’t get dirty even after repeated use for a long period of time.
- It can be placed on top of any mattress to boost its performance so that it can be used for a few more months till the time the user can buy a new mattress.
- The product comes with a warranty of 3 years to it.
- The material used in the manufacturing of this mattress topper is new and not so heard of because of which there is some uncertainty.
- The cost of the product is too high for a middle-class family.
This is a quality product from the house of the renowned brand Yanis. They are a relatively new company but are well known in the market because of their products that are usually made up of Latex. Latex, which is naturally obtained from the rubber tree has a lot of natural properties which makes it one of the best materials to make a mattress topper like it keep the environment free from any type of microorganisms and bacteria which are often the cause of skin allergy.
This mattress topper, made up of latex is covered in a cover made up of super soft Tencel protect fabric. This helps in further increasing the softness of the mattress topper. The thickness of this topper is approximately 8cm because of which it is able to catch the movement of the user instantly and provide adequate support to the joints. This topper can easily fit onto any mattress and left without attending it every few hours. The cover of the topper can easily be removed and washed in a washing machine so that the topper looks fresh and clean every single time.
- The mattress topper is made up of natural latex which is obtained from the rubber plant. The latex ensures that you and your mattress both remains free of any kind of microorganism and bacteria that cause skin allergies and inflammation.
- The thickness of the mattress topper is approximately 8cm which is good enough to provide a soft and cushy layer on top of the mattress so that your body doesn’t get stiff and aching anymore after you wake up.
- Tencel Purotex fabric is used in order to cover the whole mattress topper so that the dirt and the body sweating from the body doesn’t stain the topper. This cover can be easily removed from the topper and washed in the washing machine at a required temperature so that it looks fresh and clean like it is new.
- The designing of this mattress topper has been done in such a way that there is adequate support to the body and to the joints so that there is no pain because of the unwanted pressure on the joints or because of arthritis.
- This product is hypoallergenic and anti-bacterial.
- The manufacturers of the product give a warranty of 10 years on the product which shows the quality of the product.
- The whole mattress topper is made up of latex, which is very soft in nature and saves the environment from a large number of bacteria and microorganisms as well.
- The thickness of the topper is about 8 cm which ensures there is enough cushiness in the topper.
- The cover of the topper can be easily removed and washed in a washing machine.
- It has been designed in such a way that it eases the pressure on the joints while sleeping on it.
- Boosts up the performance of the mattress on which it is placed.
- Comes with a 10-year guarantee period.
- The mattress weight 15.4 kg, which is a bit heavier than the other mattress toppers that are available in the market.
- The cost of the mattress topper may be a bit too much for the middle-class families and they may opt for other alternatives.
A quality product from a reputed company, the mattress topper from Eve is everything that one can hope for. It has a very modern look to it which can easily complement any type of surrounding and at the same time, boosting the effectiveness of your mattress on which it will be placed. The base and the middle portion of the mattress topper is the same as that of their famous mattress which ensures that there are enough softness and bounce in the topper which will make sleeping an enjoyable experience.
The whole mattress topper is covered in a plush cover which saves it from getting dirty. The topper has been designed in such a way that it evens out the body weight and doesn’t put much pressure on the joints and the pressure points so that you feel fresh when you wake up rather than feeling all stressed out because of not getting the proper sleep. The special thing about this topper is that it greatly nullifies the effect of the other person’s movement so that you can sleep peacefully, so the next time your partner turns and tosses while sleeping, you can be assured that it won’t be affecting your sleep anytime soon. In addition to all the features mentioned, this product is hypoallergenic and has been certified by the concerned authority. This certification ensures that there is no harmful substance present inside the mattress topper which will hurt the buyer in any way.
- The base and middle portion of the mattress topper is the same as that of their mattress is well known for its softness and bounce.
- The making material of the topper is polyester which is very soft in nature and feels very comfortable to sleep on.
- This product has a unique colour combination and has a modern look to it.
- The designing of the topper ensures that there is no unwanted pressure on the joints of the body and the weight of the body is evenly distributed throughout the topper.
- This mattress topper greatly reduces the effect of the tossing and turning of the other person so that you can sleep peacefully without any disturbance.
- The mattress topper is hypoallergenic and contains no harmful substance in it. Proper certification regarding the same has been provided.
- The colour combination of the mattress topper is very modern and artistic.
- The topper has been designed in such a way that it supports the full body weight and at the same time, nullifies the disturbance that is caused by the movement of any other person on the bed so that you can sleep peacefully.
- The base and the middle layer of the topper has the same design and making the material as that of the company’s mattress which guarantees adequate softness and bounce.
- The topper weighs 10.9 kg, which is very heavy as compared to the other toppers available in the market.
- The cost of the mattress topper is not well suited for middle-class families and they may look for other alternatives in the market.
The article started with an introduction to the concept of a mattress topper and their different types were discussed. The advantages of the mattress toppers along with what things one need to keep in their mind were then laid down so that readers and the buyers have a clear picture about what they can expect in the market when they go to buy one. To make the experience easier and hassle-free, different products that are available in the market and are preferred by the people were reviewed. Their features, pros, and cons were listed along with the comments from the people.